Welcome to Thomas Jefferson Elementary School! The students and staff at Jefferson Elementary share a deep passion and commitment to high levels of achievement and community engagement. The student body represents many diverse cultures with a proud history of strong school traditions and academic excellence. At Jefferson, we are committed to creating a culture of growth, learning opportunities, and innovative thinking through leadership, creativity, and discovery.
Jefferson Elementary faculty and staff have been trained on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People -This training has been used to make connections to The 7 Habits of Happy Kids in the school’s classrooms. One goal is to make sure students are equipped with leadership skills that will stick with them throughout their lives.
Jefferson Elementary has continued to refine its focus on what it means to be an leader in our community and in the world. It’s important to us to teach students the values of being a leader through our actions and words. We speak pro-actively about expectations for our students and we talk with them about their futures. Our vision and belief is that every one of our students is a leader, and that they can lead from wherever they are. This is a message we hope they will carry with them throughout college and beyond.
- Jefferson Elementary recognized as a 2017-18 REWARD School.
- Dobyns-Bennett YES Mentor Program. (High school leadership class mentors elementary students on a weekly basis)
- FEED Project. Feel, Engage, Empower, Do! (Jefferson Elementary joins all Kingsport City Schools during the month of November for F.E.E.D. service projects. Students participate in ways to F.E.E.D the needs of our community and our world)
- Extra-Curricular Activities. (Destination Imagination finished 29th in the Global Competition, T.J. Singers, Math Olympiad, Lego League Club, Morning Walking Club, SWAG running Club, YerdHerd – Yearbook, AM Tutoring, AM Writing & Book Club)
- Dedicated Faculty & Staff
- Several teachers represent Jefferson as district-wide Teacher Leaders and Mentors.
- Learning Walkthroughs are utilized to focus on overall school improvement. Teachers observe fellow colleagues and then share feedback on highly effective instructional strategies.
- Vertical Team meetings allow multi-grade level teachers the opportunity to participate in collaboration; thus, ensuring smooth transitions throughout a student’s education at Jefferson.
- Innovative approaches that include flexible seating and flexible small groups, allow for differentiated instruction. Additionally, all students (K-5) receive Coding instruction and STEM Maker Space through the Library rotation which fosters a culture of creativity and discovery.
- Our staff, consisting of 23 classroom teachers and specialists in the areas of art, literacy, library, music, and physical education is assisted by over a dozen dedicated teaching assistants. Support services include a school counselor, special education teachers, speech therapist, and a full-time nurse.
We look forward to your support and involvement. You are encouraged to participate in our PTO and join us for special activities. Please visit our website again as we continue to work together to utilize the potential of technology to share information about our school program.
Mr. Mike Fulkerson, Principal